Saturday 7 January 2012

Gruelling Times


Yes I’ve been a little slack – working this week. That’s my excuse anyway.

So lets start at the beginning of the challenge. First things first. The weather was threatening to be a stinker, so I was keen to take off as much of the heat sensitive crop that I could. I also wanted to get at that valuable stash of potatoes that I planted way back in July. But there were carrots planted on top of them so they had to go first. Here’s a few pics of the ceremony. Overall the amount of Pontiac potatoes were less than expected. Only a single layer of them, when I was expecting two as I had mounded them once or twice. But there were enough there to keep me happy.





The purple heirloom carrots were complete duds. Looked great on top, but had gnarly twisted and hairy roots about as thick as my nose hairs. Right next to them planted in the same soil were the traditional carrots. I picked a couple. Here they are shown side by side. The more I deal with heirloom vegetables the more I realise that they didn’t become ‘lost’ in time for no reason. Other superior varieties just replaced them. Incidentally, in my opinion the heirlooms actually had less carrot flavour.




The tomatoes were there in abundance. Some were cooked inside due to the extreme heat that we just experienced. They looked perfect on the outside but had the texture of tinned tomatoes. They didn’t go to waste though. I scooped out the flesh to add to my famous vegetable gruel.

Paul was right about some of my corn. They were a little overdone. Again, great flavour but a pappy texture. Once again, the kernels were cut off and added to the gruel. The French beans were hit hard by the heat and again were overdone. Yes, you guessed it – they went into the gruel.

My Gruel Recipe
Cut off anything off your horrid vegetables. If you think the dog wouldn't eat it then it goes. Keep the rest.
Put it in a big pot with 100mls of robust extra virgin olive oil.
Add two hot chillis
Assalt it (to a greviously bodily harm stage)
Add as much pepper as possible.
Boil the shit out of it.
Simmer for 10 hours.
Enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. Got to luv that gruel recipe.

    I think that some of your stuff, my dog (Ash - GRHS)wouldn't eat.

    Please explain - traditional v heirloom!

    ReplyDelete